[oi-dev] OI User documentation

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 00:09:22 UTC 2015

On 12/25/2015 03:40 AM, Nikola M wrote:

> Documentation needs decisions weither it will replace "Opensolaris"
> wording with illumos or with Openindiana or both where appropriate.
> Also whether docs need to be separated in illumos ones that could be for
> all illumos distributions OS'es to share and contribute and those for
> just Openindiana.

This is a good question.

 From what I understand, the other Illumos based distributions are not
very interested in OI (they don't want an OS with a desktop). So, the
OpenSolaris docs (as a whole) are probably more useful for OI users than
anyone else. For this reason I think they should be hosted on
OpenIndiana.org. If the other Illumos derived distributions find
something they like, I suppose they can always link to them.

> OI and Hipster actually needs more people like you in not only
> documenting, but also testing, QA and reporting bugs if not also fixing
> them, but definitely needs more steering talks and goal setting for new
> coming developers (needs advocating too) so that things go into Stable,
> supported OI for server and desktop with current docs.

Agreed...which is precisely why polishing up the Wiki is so important.

> Using Oracle Solaris Docs is unusable from the moment when it's OS/Net
> turned closed or at least not releasing source and even if their docs are
> available in source code and with a public license I doubt it could be
> reused easily, because there are changes on both illumos and Solaris
> side, that are not in each other.
> So more painfull and full approach is more likely for refreshing
> Opensolaris docs into current illumos and Openindiana docs.

Given we already have the PDL licensed OpenSolaris docs (and because of
the divergence in code between Illumos and Oracle Solaris), is there any
remaining reason to even look at the Oracle docs?

Maybe if Oracle kills off Solaris and open sources everything....I was
just reading how Oracle Linux has been ported to Sparc.

Michael