[oi-dev] OI User documentation

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 08:45:49 UTC 2015

On 12/26/15 01:09 AM, Michael Kruger wrote:

> On 12/25/2015 03:40 AM, Nikola M wrote:
>
>> Documentation needs decisions weither it will replace "Opensolaris"
>> wording with illumos or with Openindiana or both where appropriate.
>> Also whether docs need to be separated in illumos ones that could be for
>> all illumos distributions OS'es to share and contribute and those for
>> just Openindiana.
>

> This is a good question.
>
> From what I understand, the other Illumos based distributions are not
> very interested in OI (they don't want an OS with a desktop). So, the
> OpenSolaris docs (as a whole) are probably more useful for OI users
> than anyone else. For this reason I think they should be hosted on
> OpenIndiana.org. If the other Illumos derived distributions find
> something they like, I suppose they can always link to them.

I think other illumos distros are interested what is going on with OI,
many are pulling some of their packages from OI hipster and treat it
like upstream (IPS packaging is one example). Alp and other have been
doing good work all this time.

I share your thinking that probably many docs would be OI related ,
but I propose that once we learn how to compile docs and start
re-reading and changing them,
we separate it into illumos part that is for all distributions (with
clues that there are multiple packaging systems and distributions) and
Openindiana part.
That would be ideally, but if it can not be separated like that in full,
having current OI docs is good enough too. +1 Hosting it on OI.org for sure.

>> OI and Hipster actually needs more people like you in not only
>
> Agreed...which is precisely why polishing up the Wiki is so important.

Wiki and docs are separate issues and Wiki needs strategy not to drop
older indexed pages with good content on them.
Wiki also uses closed-source proprietary Wiki and that is also an issue
where some open wiki is more appropriate for open project, but that is
not going to change in some near future, for there are more important
things to change atm then Wiki application.

>> Using Oracle Solaris Docs is unusable from the moment when it's OS/Net
>

> Given we already have the PDL licensed OpenSolaris docs (and because
> of the divergence in code between Illumos and Oracle Solaris), is
> there any remaining reason to even look at the Oracle docs?

Maybet that it is similar question weither to look at Oracle Solaris 11
source code, that was leaked after the release. Illumos people suggested
not to even look at it, to avoid inclusion of code in illumos, that is
not marked as officially released.

Looking at Oracle docs on the other hand can have it's merits for ideas,
once updating docs to current state is finished. But any copy/pasting
would not be good in terms that we are not sure under what license are
oracle's docs.
Maybe when OI/illumos docs get to the state where they are shiny and
great, there could be contacts to see if things could be exchanged with
oracle docs etc.

> Maybe if Oracle kills off Solaris and open sources everything....I was
> just reading how Oracle Linux has been ported to Sparc.

It is separate topic, but I think that Linux for sparc is mostly to be
run under VM of Solaris/illumos. Joyent/SmartOS have it's shiny
boxed/zoned datacentar solutions for linux binaries so I would more look
at it as a way to support SPARC because with lack of available hardware,
many Linux distros dropped SPARC, then anything else.