[oi-dev] libjpeg-turbo and VLC

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 19:56:18 UTC 2015

Hello,
this afternoon I compiled VLC 2.2.1 quick and dirty (no patching involved
\o/) for use on my (work-)workstation. This was made easier thanks to:

- update of gnu-gettext 0.19.6 by Alexander [1]
- support of strerror_l to illumos [2]

The only issue was that our libjpeg6b is quite old and not compatible with
VLC, installing libjpeg-turbo (which is libjpeg8 compliant) solved the
problem.

Is it realistic to consider modifiying the libjpeg component and use
libjpeg-turbo with v8 compatility as drop-in replacement ? The performance
difference is quite impressive.

VLC 2.2.1 just works fine, the only issue related to loading the Lua plugin
is not OI specific and to be fixed upstream.
Best regards

Aurelien

[1] https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/1544
[2]