[oi-dev] Whoa! emacs broken? (spaces replace much of what I type)

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 01:43:05 UTC 2015

I'm running this emacs:
pkg:/editor/gnu-emacs/gnu-emacs-gtk at 24.3-2015.0.1.0
when I type something in the minibuffer, such as:
ESC-! echo "This is a test. How much of this do I see?"
The minibuffer shows me something like:
" his  s a  es  ow m ch o  his o   se "

Now if I just hit enter, what I actually types comes out, so emacs
does know what I typed, and just can't seem to display it.   Ideas
what's going on?

I also noticed emacs looks strange when I started it up, like
something was amiss with fonts or something.  Possibly related?

Anyone seen either of these oddities?

Thanks,
Gordon