[oi-dev] libjpeg-turbo and VLC

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Dec 2 22:44:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

> Hi,
> ABI 6b, 7 and 8 are apparently backward compatible but not 9.

The ABI for 6b, 7, 8, and 9 are all different.  There is a way to
compile libjpeg-turbo to provide either a 6b or 8 ABI.  I don't think
it actually offers any more features when built to emulate IJG JPEG 8
since it does not provide the additional features added by IJG JPEG 8
(only interface structures are changed).

> So should I start by adding a libjpeg-turbo component and add possibly a symlinks like libjpeg.so.8.0.0 and libjpeg8.so (could do
> that to tell which lib to use given an ABI) ?

It should be possible for the existing libjpeg and libjpeg8.so to
co-exist, but only one can be used for development.

Please note that the results from IJG JPEG and libjpeg-turbo are not
always identical and libjpeg-turbo has had some issues with edge-cases
(e.g. small accesses outside of initialized or even allocated memory)
in the past, and possibly the present.  As a result, I can't use
libjpeg-turbo when doing memory testing (valgrind or ASAN) under Linux
for GraphicsMagick tests since these tests exercise edge cases.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn