[oi-dev] libjpeg-turbo and VLC

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Dec 11 02:33:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, bentahyr at chez.com wrote:

> Hi Aurélien,
>
> This is great news.
> I tried myself and my results are way less optimistic than yours.
> How did you compiled the libraries necessary for VLC ?
> After installing all I could from repo, I'm still left to compile the following :
> a52 bluray caca chromaprint dca dvbpsi dvdcss dvdnav dvdread faad2 \
> ffmpeg fluid gme goom gsm jpeg kate \
> lame libmpeg2 live555 mad matroska modplug mpcdec nettle \
> postproc shout sidplay2 taglib twolame upnp vncserver vpx x264 x265 zvbi
>
> I know I can live without the blueray support even if it would be nice to have but DVD/x264 seem to me quite important.

It seems easiest to find a way to compile applications with both JPEG
6b and libjpeg turbo.  The main problem is if an application tries to
load both libraries due to intertwined library dependencies.  Debian
used versioned library symbols (directly supported by libjpeg under
Linux and FreeBSD) and a slow transition to allow migrating to the
JPEG v8 ABI.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn