[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] Sun/Oracle China's DRM//KMS Sol11.2 port backported to function on old-style gfxp_private from pre-2010 era but still immediatedly PANICS

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Mon Dec 14 22:11:46 UTC 2015

 I forgot to mention, that I'm the only one in the world outside of MS or Caldera ('s court trial), who ever found out how it is possible to start the DOS32 extender shipped with Win9x/ME as VMM32.vxd on MS-DOS 6.22 and down to MS-DOS and (from the same src tree) IBM-DOS 5.00 and even non MS-DOS versions like DR-DOS 7 / Caldera OpenDOS, instead of the 16bit MS-DOS 7.00/7.10A/8.00 still shipped in Win9x/ME (as IO.SYS and the old style MSDOS.SYS plus splash bmp then bundled together as IO.SYS [with MSDOS.SYS only being an ascii config file]).

I know how to start it on un-MS-messed-with legacy DOS and have a small TSR that I wrote, somewhere on one of my douzen old disks.
Somewhere where I also have a copy of the SoftICE debugger and the Win98DDK.

Haha, since 2004 I wanted to release it. One day I will.
This of course only as a nice distraction, because sure we won't incorporate this into oi  :)
My version however does not support VFAT (virtual LFN), only 8.3

The only others who ever succeeded in that (but with full VFAT support) were at the same time in a legal position to sue MS for a few hundred millions. Which they took, for not publishing this TSR:

http://www.it1me.com/learn?s=WinGlue

"Gross also hired Andrew Schulman (who had been, with Geoff Chappell, instrumental in identifying the  AARD code in 1992) to work as a consultant and, in Andover, join Paul in his work on "WinGlue", a secret project to create a version of DR-DOS compatible with Windows 95, 98 and 98 SE and replace its MS-DOS 7.xx component. [ 22 ] This was demonstrated at  CeBIT in March 1998, [ 22 ] and later, in a small team, developed into "WinBolt", both versions of DR-DOS, which remained unreleased as of 2014, but played an important role in the  court case . [ 18 ] [ 23 ]"