[oi-dev] OI User documentation

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 16:10:13 UTC 2015

Hello Michael,
welcome !

I would like to help contribute to the OI project by doing whatever I can
>> towards improving the state of OI's end user documentation. I'm also
>> willing to help with QA testing.

Thanks for the kind offer, this is great !
As Nikola pointed in his email setting up a repository and contribution
guidelines for the existing documentation is an important task.
I am not sure it is the most efficient way to provide "hands-on"
documentation though and may be tedious.

> Currently I am reading my way through the OpenSolaris Bible and thought
>> giving back to the community by writing some OI tutorials and end user
>> documentation would be a great way to help solidify and increase my Unix
>> admin knowledge.

Following my previous comment, something to consider is to improve the
OpenIndiana Handbook:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Handbook

The aspect to consider are not only expanding the content but also using a
revision control system as well as improving readability.

There are many other blog posts and spread out wiki pages out there:
consolidating them little by little in one handbook like the *BSDs do would
be very useful to help newcomers.

One could also consider feeding www.openindiana.org with posts to highlight
administration tasks that may be specific to OI/illumos or emphasize on a
change of behaviour (creation of ZFS dataset for each user directory, the
change of sysidtool, ).
Expanded version of these posts could be later integrated to the handbook.

In any case I think one should be pragmatic and iterate nicely through
reachable goals.
Priority IMHO should be on information that allow people to
contribute/report better and changes affecting the administration on
Hipster.
Best regards,

Aurelien