[oi-dev] OI User documentation

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 23:39:19 UTC 2015

On 12/25/2015 03:40 AM, Nikola M wrote:

> -There was also docs-discuss mailing list that could be continued and
> made as new one on OI mailing lists for documentation use.

Nice idea, but I doubt we're quite ready for something like that.
Perhaps once DOC talk begin to detract from DEV talk, then it could be
moved to it's own ML.

> -I suggest to start by making new Openindiana wiki page, describing
> digested manuals and procedures of managing, editing and compiling
> documentation source.

Looks to me like we would either have to resurrect the old process or
develop a new process model. In any case, this would likely need to be
secondary to polishing up the Wiki itself. Once the lawn is mowed and
the fence painted, perhaps we'll have more people stopping by to assist
with larger tasks such as this.

> Then there is an issue of putting docs into some versioning process,
> where Openindiana has Mercurial repos on it's servers that resembles
> Sun/Oracle practice.
> Having Mercurial and/or GIT locally (possibly with  on Openindiana
> servers has strong benefits to just using Github because at the end all
> sources and final results must be distributed with the releases and it
> makes sense for easy mirroring and distribution.
> If it is put on GitHib it again has to be moved to OI servers to there
> is no much merit to keeping it on Github.

Is the Redmine wiki currently using Mecurial?

Michael