[oi-dev] Update/addition of XCB components

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:55:10 UTC 2015

Hi Alexander,

1) Minor issue: I see that xcb-proto delivers contents to site-packages. We
> usually deliver python modules to /usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages. BTW,
> why xcb-proto is 32-bit only? Some issues with dependent packages?

I do not think so... To be honest I do not remember the reason, so I can
enable 64bit build.

> 2) I see that some packages are bumped across major versions - e.g.
> libxcb. Do I understand correctly that we don't deliver any consumers of
> this library and there's no widespread software (e.g., from SFE) using it?

I added the XCB components because of some software (Enlightenment and some
imaging libs) needed them. Recent Qt also uses it.
Aside from the packages I added there should not be big consumers of these
components, but recent software makes use of them.
Accordingly to the changelogs bumping libxcb from 1.9.x to 1.11 does not
introduce incompatibilities (1.10 -> 1.11 is a bug fixing step).

> 3) What about build order? Are there any particular dependencies (which
> components should be updated first)?

The build order is as Alan said and this is the order I had deliberately
chosen for listing the branches.

 Best regards,

Aurelien