[oi-dev] Perl 5.22 integration

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Jul 22 19:03:37 UTC 2015

Hello.
As Perl 5.16 is becoming more and more old, I have plans to integrate
Perl 5.22.

The component itself is ready (but not committed to oi-userland yet),
it's an easy part.
Now I'm working on Perl modules.

After modules are ready I'll look if illumos-gate (and sun-solaris Perl
module) can be built with new Perl. If it's OK, I plan to integrate new
perl and modules.

Then we'll have to rebuild perl dependencies so that they required
either Perl 5.16 and Perl 5.22.

Then I'm going to make Perl 5.22 the default one, drop Perl 5.10 (which
we had for building unpatched illumos-gate, and which is not necessary
now) and
some old packages dependent on perl on the way, including mysql 5.1 (we
have MariaDB 5.5 and Percona Server 5.5/5.6) and apache 1.3 (which was
required to build illumos-gate earlier).

I think Perl 5.16 and 5.22 can coexist for some time, later we'll drop
5.16.

If someone knows why it's a bad idea, it's good time to speak.