[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 14:42:21 UTC 2015

On 02/28/15 04:22 PM, Jean-Pierre André wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> [...]
>> I think we can look at downgrading
>> intel drivers to something like 2.9 (or even 2.6) which still supported
>> UMS until KMS work is ready. I don't know how much work it'll take to
>> make this crap work with new Xorg server, so no promises on time frame
>> for now. Until then you can use vesa.
>
> I have a computer with Intel graphics and Hipster
> 20140701 installed. Xorg refuses to use intel_drv.so
> and falls back on using vesa_drv.so, I understand
> this is not going to improve soon.
>
> The fall back to vesa is totally unusable because the
> brigthness is forced to maximum and hurts the eyes and
> the slider for brightness on "Power Management" has no
> effect.
>
> Is there another way to adjust the brightness level with
> the vesa driver ?
>
> Jean-Pierre
Hello, Jean-Pierre,

I found a workaround that could be used, if everyone declares that newer
packages in hipster-2015
will not depend on newer X and Intel driver that is non working yet.
(and that could allow testing if it is needed when things improve.

You update to latest hipster-2014.1 or install from 20141010 ISO if it
is new install,
or in a working BE for your intel hardware,
and you enter: (with pfexec or sudo)
pfexec pkg freeze consolidation/X/X-incorporation
pfexec pkg freeze x11/server/xorg/driver/xorg-video-intel

And then add new repository (pkg set-publisher-g , -G to remove old) if
needed, and update (pkg update -v).

That way , if new packages you have installed does not depend on newer X
and intel driver that does not work, you get same packages as
hipster-2015 except X and intel driver consolidations.
And hopefully newer packages won't depend on them, until it is once
solved in illumos and you unfreeze them.