[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] ANNOUNCE: gcc ported Firefox 37.0b3 now backported to snv_130 x86/x64, Should work on OI/Hipster/S11.[0-3]/S12 etc.

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 22:14:24 UTC 2015

On Thursday 26 March 2015 22.16:04 Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

> So the question is: how can we change the situation?

If we would want to involve Companies:
Desktop Products that use our Strengths in the Server field?
Zone Based VDI for example. A Fast to boot low profile vdi that could run on
laptop or even phone hardware(given x86 architecture). Mixed in with a little
bit of live migration and X11 remoting magic and you have a nice little
product that a company could sell.

Other than that:
Cooperation with a Desktop Project?
KDE has stated interest, but the have no idea how to approach a port to
solaris based systems. Their biggest effort for a solaris port was one guy.
He did get KDE4 running on S10.
Enlightenment seems to have shown interest aswell.

On Thursday 26 March 2015 22.27:13 Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>Maybe stop having one distribution per 10 users ? (only Linux can afford
having distribution because one does not like the default wallpaper)

Defragmentation of used Package formats?
We not only have a different Package Manager for every Distro, we also have a
different kind of Build description format per distro, or per community multi
distro project.

A Merge of opencsw, SFE, openpkg and all the other multi distro packaging
projects?

Pre packaged buildzone images(like smartos) or buildzone construction script ?

A how to build a buildzone guide without different options to choose?
As a Solaris Newbie i got very confused with that guide.

A unified buildserver for multiple distros(like OBS)?

Greetings
Till