[oi-dev] [HEADS UP] OpenSSL was updated to 1.0.2d

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 06:57:15 UTC 2015

On 11/ 3/15 05:47 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> The following concerns all OI Hipster users.
>
> OpenSSL was updated to 1.0.2d. It is mostly ABI-compatible to 1.0.1,
> but there is one issue. libssh has checks that utils are using the SSL
> version, against which they were compiled. So, you have to recompile
> illumos-gate after this update, if you use self-compiled illumos-gate.
> If you don't, be sure to do full pkg update, so that you have the
> latest osnet bits installed.
>
> Note, that updating openssl without updating illumos-gate-provided
> packages will also cause default gnome login to fail, as ssh-agent is
> used during session startup.

One of the better sides of (Open) Solaris was ABI compatibility.

I had issue once updating OpenSUSE, where some repositories were locked
for updates afte rupdate I was left with the system that I could not log
into, because SSH could not run on newer Linux kernel and it needed to
recompile to run.
I was thinking something like this would never happen to an illumos
distro and Openindiana.

I understand that if one just ro regular pkg update -v , will see
nothing wrong,
yet I needed to send some reflections and listen to possible feedback on
the matter of ABI compatibility
(and having at least some releses to target compatibility on to).