[oi-dev] FF 43b6 integration

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek jeffpc at josefsipek.net
Fri Nov 27 15:46:22 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 04:37:09PM +0100, Nikola M wrote:
> On 11/27/15 03:26 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I vote for integration as there is no critical regression, while on the
> >other side security issues are addressed and broader testing is important.
>
> I need to actually use that not look at it as if it is and curiosity.
> If machine slows to a crawl putting up core dumps and filling the disk with
> 1Gig per closing FF, I would call that as an off reason.

There's always 'ulimit -c 0' to prevent firefox from dumping core.

I've been running ff43 out of http://buildzone.oi-build.r61.net:1000/ for a
couple of days.  Yes, I do see a firefox core files, but personally I find
them to be a lesser evil than a browser that doesn't work properly (or in
some cases at all) on an increasingly larger fraction of the web.  So, with
that said: Ship it.

Jeff.

> >On Debian stable and testing, in the past months, I have seen Iceweasel
> >behave equally bad regarding Flash and crashes on exit (leading to
> >zombified process), the same applies to Icedove for the latter issue.
> >This is not a justification, of course, but considering our resources,
> >until we reach a stage when a release schedule is possible, consolidating
> >oi-userland and facilitating testing (when no critical regression exists)
> >should be a priority.
> >
> >In an ideal time-unlimited world I would of course otherwise agree with
> >Nikola. ;)
> >He makes a valid point though about taking care of keeping /dev ->
> >/hipster upgrades possible.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >
> >Aurelien

I abhor a system designed for the "user", if that word is a coded pejorative
meaning "stupid and unsophisticated."
		- Ken Thompson