[oi-dev] Security awareness: Update to Firefox 38.2.1 ESR or greater

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 05:31:12 UTC 2015

On 10/25/15 01:38 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2015, Nikola M wrote:
>>
>> I tested it on OI Hipster 201510, BE date 2015-10-19
>>  and found it doesn't recognize my saved usernames/passwords I have
>> in 24.8.1
>> (And of course, I can't live without my saved passwords :)  )
>
> I notice that with the Solaris 10 build, I also get an empty list when
> I visit the Saved Passwords section.  However, I also notice that it
> still manages to auto-login using the saved user name and password so
> this may be a UI issue rather than an actual inability to replay login
> information.

In the similar way it seems that spellcheck that stopped working in both
Firefox and Thunderbird in OI hipster-2015 (worked before 4-5 months or so),
seems to not underline words untill it get to first mispelled word.
Then it underlines every word after that and stops working.

> The CNN web site looks even more crappy than before and the Yahoo web
> site assumes that Firefox under Solaris must be some primitive cell
> phone browser (as it temporarily did with Linux some time ago).
> However, other web sites seem fine.

Yeah I mailed Yahoo about this issue of not recognizing "Solaris" i User
Agent string as computer browser, like 3 years ago or something, but got
no response from Yahoo.

> Given that the Flash plugin is gone, web sites may look better with
> the Flash Block add-on removed.

Just as a note, Martin, maintainer of never-releasing-source illumos
distribution OpenSXCE, says that he is using Flash player fine, except
some edge cases for Flash versions compatibility or something , because
he patched something in illumos and else that colided with last Flash
for Solaris (but never released what).