[oi-dev] [HEADS UP] Userland incorporation

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Oct 9 13:22:26 UTC 2015

9 октября 2015 г. 8:06:36 CEST, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> пишет:
>On 10/ 4/15 07:37 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> The following concerns OI Hipster users. Now entire is not empty, but
>
>> depends on userland incorporation, which is created by Jenkins
>> automatically.
>> Userland incorporation
>(consolidation/userland/userland-incorporation)
>> includes incorporate dependencies on highest package versions in
>> Jenkins repository. As illumos-gate and kvm are published by separate
>
>> Jenkins job, they are not included in incorporation.
>>
>> So, if you want install other package versions, you can set
>> corresponding facets in your image or remove entire and
>> userland-incorporation packages.
>
>Great,
>Isn't the point of 'entire' to also depend on illumos-gate version and
>kvm?
>
>So that user can set exact state of all system at a present time if
>testing for regressions?
>
>Does that means that illumos-gate and kvm also need it's
>incorporations,
>so that entire can depend on them too?
>
>it is step in right direction so to say.
>
>But I have some questions:
>I am still not understanding how to figure what package is part of what
>
>incorporation?
>There are many logical incorporations in Hipster yet they are empty?
>Is illumos-gate in osnet-incorporation and that's it?
>Why there are incorporations when they are empty? And why they are
>emptied? Why say gnome-incorporation is empty etc.
>If illumos-gate uses incorporations when publishing packages, what are
>they?
>
>When Jenkins is is updating illumos-gate or some package is updated in
>oi-userland, why when changes are selected to view, they are mixed in
>jenkins, so illumos-gate change and oi-userland changes display same
>changes?
>I pretty much dont' understand Hipster layout.
>
>Where and how changes in OI Hipster are announced? And where are they
>made available before actually making changes, since I see changes in
>hipster just appear and are published without previously knowing about
>it?
>Is there some sort of planning page where people can announce what they
>
>are working on and what they plan to integrate and when?
>
>There is also question of backing down package versions to previous
>versions if new one didn't work/passed testing. Currently as Iknow
>there
>is no way to get back to the system state with previous package version
>
>after updating package version.
>Isn't that is what comlicated package version names on the left side of
>
>version number were about, to enable changing package version number
>and
>have real upstream package number coming after that as an info?
>(e.g. editor/nano 2.4.2-2015.0.1.0
>versus editor/nano 2015.0.1.0-2.4.2)
>
>Sry if it's too much questions ,)

My take is that Hipster packaging is driven by a few contributors. Few enough that complicated planning and announcements are not of interest to people doing and orchestrating real work. People push PRs on github, they end up in common repo after review, Jenkins picks up the changes, everybody gets a new set of binaries.

Besides, it is kind of the point of bleeding edge - you do not revert (not that it is impossible to e.g. install an explicit version FMRI and lock to that), you fix a broken package for yours and general benefit and upgrade to that. (Of course, as you most loudly and often remind, the caveat is that unlike other projects in case of OI there is essentially no 'stable' distro as too many things are planned to change since last 'oi-dev' releases before the team is satisfied to release their work as generally usable and supportable in any sense).

I am not denouncing your questions, concerns and complaints - they are good, they are what can move the project organization forward. Would you grab the flag and lead this flank?

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android