[oi-dev] [HEADS UP] Gstreamer plugins in /hipster-encumbered

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sat Sep 12 11:32:41 UTC 2015

Hello.
The message concerns OpenIndiana Hipster desktop users.
I'd like to inform you that now we have all main gstreamer plugins
available in /hipster-encumbered repository.
I believe that the set of plugins is more reach and functional then in
old /sfe and /sfe-encumbered repositories.
So, if you don't live in US (because I can't advise you to break even
stupid laws of your country ;)), I encourage you to test and use new
repository. In brief, to switch to new repository, you should do the
following:
- create backup BE,
- uninstall all packages from /sfe or /sfe-encumbered,
- remove old /sfe and /sfe-encumbered publishers,
- set new /hipster-encumbered publisher,
- install new packages :

# beadm create oi-pre-sfe-removal
# pkg list |grep '(sfe' |awk '{ print $1; }'  |xargs pkg uninstall
--no-backup-be
# pkg unset-publisher sfe
# pkg unset-publisher sfe-encumbered
# pkg set-publisher -g http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-encumbered
hipster-encumbered
# pkg install
pkg://hipster-encumbered/library/audio/gstreamer/plugin/bad \
           pkg://hipster-encumbered/library/audio/gstreamer/plugin/ugly \
           pkg://hipster-encumbered/library/audio/gstreamer/plugin/ffmpeg

I'm especially happy with library/audio/gstreamer/plugin/ffmpeg (I was
able to play all videos on my PC which I checked so far).

NOTE!!!!
/hipster-encumbered and /hipster contains not all packages, which were
earlier available at /sfe or /sfe-encumbered.
So far we have not the goal to replace SFE, just deliver the minimal set
of multimedia codecs,
necessary to make your day-to-day OpenIndiana Hipster desktop usage
comfortable.

P.S. I hope we'll see /sfe repository compiled for OpenIndiana Hipster
soon...
P.P.S. Thanks to SFE team, Debian, Openembedded and Ubuntu packagers and
developers, without them this work would be hardly possible.