[oi-dev] issues with dir action in IPS

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:15:12 UTC 2016

On 04/19/16 01:00 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> So, it seems natural to have single service to automate
> post-installation tasks. In OpenSolaris/OI we had such service for the
> long time, system/postrun:default. Unfortunately, it had a lot of
> lu-upgrade-related legacy, and I suppose wasn't usable last several
> years on OI (and so was dropped). What do you think about recreating
> similar service, which would execute once generic scripts, delivered
> by packages?
>
> I see two issues: 1) this defeats IPS no-scripting approach :), 2)
> there can be difficulties with non-active images...

If there already were system/postrun:default , why not to be there again
I suppose.

I would also like to hear more input from someone else regarding
no-scripting philosophy in IPS.
I know that post-install action, and others, are reason for, say, dilos
to use DEB packaging instead of IPS. IPS itself is upstream derived from
Oracle but it also is not written in the stone and unchangable.

But I am worried why would there be problems with non-active image?
(if I do actions on mounted image and not one that is default for boot
with beadm activate as i understand).  If there is no problem about this
or is avoided, I humbly see no reason why system/postrun:default
shouldn't be there.