[oi-dev] Mate 1.14

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Aug 1 14:38:33 UTC 2016

Hi, Till.

Do we miss something big from Mate now?

I see the following issues:
1) Mate-power-manager and battery applet rely on upower, which we don't
have, so we can't do anything with this for now.
2) I still wait for feedback from yelp testing. When it's tested and
merged, I'll consider mate almost done.
3) We didn't try to port nautilus zfs integration. I dislike current
patches, as they use private libzfs interfaces and break now and then.
In any case, even if we decide to use them as is, they should be
carefully expected.
4) We didn't port compiz configuration integration to Gnome control
center, as it relies on gconf now and should be migrated to gsettings. I
personally don't see this as high priority task.
5) We didn't preserve GUI interface for reboot -e.

I would like to get feedback on yelp before calling for Mate testing...

Before Mate testing I could create mate_install or similar package to
allow users install it by one command.
However, perhaps, I'll postpone it to the end of Mate testing, so that
we can immediately produce Mate ISOs for wider testing. I consider we
should try switching GUI image to Mate before next snapshot.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,