[oi-dev] Mate 1.14

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Aug 1 20:37:16 UTC 2016

Alexander Pyhalov писал 01.08.2016 17:38:
> Hi, Till.
>
> Do we miss something big from Mate now?
>
> I see the following issues:

One more issue.
I've looked at
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/desktop/mate/mate-panel/patches/gnome-panel-15-use-vp-time.patch
(and corresponding gnome patch).
Both are incomplete and wrong.

I have modified version
(https://github.com/pyhalov/oi-userland/commit/3108f3427bc2dab346a6c8ca15df30de6210f2bf),
which just calls time-admin if it's found (modified more old patch from
jds).
The issue is that time-admin itself (as part of gnome-system-tools) is
gone from Mate.
Now they do date and time management using helper in
mate-settings-daemon, calls to which are
guarded by PoliciKit (which we miss). Even more, mate-settings-daemon
date and time helper
doesn't know how to set, for example, time zone on Solaris/illumos.

So, the question is if we a) should avoid delivering gnome-system-tools
for Mate desktop, remove this patch and say "use mate-terminal, Luke" or
b) patch mate utilities to use gnome-system-tools.

I'd prefer a) as it's more straightforward.

---