[oi-dev] Mate is here (as well as new test ISOs)

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 21:07:49 UTC 2016

On 08/16/16 03:50 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> Now checked on a real desktop (Asus P6T/X58/Core i7 980X/Quadro FX
> 1800), and all is working correctly... no, wait, sound volume cannot
> be changed after fiddling with the sound control settings, no
> way to set volume with any controls anymore, no way to set volume
> html5 youtube video, etc. Something is broken there.

I am seeing this also....it occurs when playing either audio or video in
firefox.
In fact, Firefox does not even show up as an active application in the
sound preferences applet (accessed by right clicking the system tray
speaker icon).

Just as Udo described, the volume control in the system tray can be
muted (or the slider moved up or down ) and has no effect on the sound
level observed in firefox.
The slider within a YouTube video also has no effect. It too can be
manipulated or muted to no effect.

With the system in this condition, the sound level is not adjustable.
Trying different settings in gstreamer-properties doesn't have any
effect on Firefox either.

It does not look like this issue is related to the experimental disk, as
I am not running it.
Instead I added the mate packages to an already installed instance of
Hipster running on a physical machine.
However, I have been seeing this even before installing the mate packages.

The sound preferences applet does properly control sound levels for
other applications such as Rhythmbox.

Michael