[oi-dev] Mate is here (as well as new test ISOs)

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 09:47:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> wrote:

> Two new image types: OI_MATE - this is Mate-based LiveDVD and OI_minimal
> (we tried to strip down OI a bit). One thing about minimal image - it
> doesn't deliver sudo, so initial user just gets root role. Note, these are
> test images and not official snapshots.

Well done on shifting to MATE.

Some notes on the "minimal" iso:

Why prompt for language when there's only one option?

Calling it minimal doesn't quite seem right. It's got bits of X, tcl, tk,
cairo,
GL, berkelydb, mariadb, apr, apr-util, gdbm, graphite, openblas, cdrtools,
2 copies of python, ruby, fortran, apache. One or two bits I can imagine
being pulled in via dependencies, but a lot of this seems wrong.

Doesn't have the man command (although it does have a lot of man
pages). I would expect to be able to read man pages

We'd like to hear your opinion, which images are necessary for next
> snapshot (supposedly, 2016.10). We think that minimal one, Mate and Gnome
> one are enough. We are going to avoid delivering Gnome ISO image after next
> snapshot (in 2017).

Presumably minimal is the new "text" iso.

Thanks,

--
-Peter Tribble