[oi-dev] Ansible modules for managing illumos networking - help with review/testing needed

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 20:20:12 UTC 2016

Hello,

this might matter to people who use Ansible to manage any illumos distributions. I have opened a PR on Ansible's Github (https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/19396), which brings in these modules:

dladm_iptun
dladm_linkprop
dladm_vlan
ipadm_addr
ipadm_addrprop
ipadm_ifprop

I would like to ask people using Ansible to have a look at these modules, test them and review them, so they can be merged into Ansible before 2.3 is released (January/February). With these modules, 90% of illumos networking can be configured via Ansible. The review is as easy as writing “shipit” in the PR discussion.

After these modules are merged, only remaining network-related pieces missing to be contributed are:

- link aggregations - I don’t have an access to a machine where I could test this (if somebody is interested in this and is able to provide testing environment, feel free to contact me privately)
- bridges - I have never needed to use them on illumos. (If there is interest, I can implement this as it quite simple to do).
- routeadm - to manage ipv(4|6)-(forwarding|routing) options via routeadm command.

In the upcoming months, I want to work on more modules and making illumos based systems much easier to automate via Ansible. I have created a repository (https://github.com/xen0l/ansible-illumos-modules), where I have collected all the ideas for modules I want to develop. I am always interested in getting new ideas about modules, so if people have any, feel free to send me a PR with the idea! I also plan to fix any illumos-related bug that appears in Ansible.

Those, who might review networking PR, might be also interested in reviewing these PRs:

- Gather uptime and device facts from Solarish systems (https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/18733)

These PRs have already been reviewed, but more reviews will speed up inclusion:

- Add module for managing boot environments on FreeBSD/Solaris/illumos systems (https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/19180)
- Modules for gathering facts about ZFS datasets and pools (https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/19181)

I would like to thank everyone in advance for helping me test/review/contributing new module ideas.

Cheers,
Adam