[oi-dev] Updated OpenIndiana FAQ (3rd draft)

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Feb 10 11:14:41 UTC 2016

Hi. I have several notices.

"Some notable features of OpenSolaris were the introduction of the all
familiar GNOME desktop, GNU userland tools, and a new network based
package manager (IPS)"
It seems comma before "and" is not necessary, but I'm not a native speaker.

In Feature/Description table some descriptions could be a bit expanded.
For non-Solaris user descriptions "Service Management Facility" and
"Fault Management Architecture" say nothing. At least there should be
links to documentation, wiki or wikipedia.

I'd avoid speaking about 32-bit support. It seems we are going to nuke
it in future, and in immediate future more and more 64-bit-only
applications will appear. One old good example is qemu-kvm.

Adam, can we host
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/opensolaris_2008/index.html on OI
infrastructure? Referencing to linuxtopia site seems strange.

"Utilities maintenance - pkg[5]". Link seems to be broken. I think this
item needs brief clarification.

"As illumos is not itself a distribution, OpenIndiana combines
illumos-gate with OpenIndiana derived oi-userland"
I think something is wrong with this sentence.

"At this time, the following distributions are known to support the
SPARC platform:.."
I think it would be good to reorganize the list in alphabetic order.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,