[oi-dev] Updated OpenIndiana FAQ (3rd draft)

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 20:49:38 UTC 2016

On 02/10/2016 06:14 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hi. I have several notices.
>
> "Some notable features of OpenSolaris were the introduction of the all
> familiar GNOME desktop, GNU userland tools, and a new network based
> package manager (IPS)"
> It seems comma before "and" is not necessary, but I'm not a native speaker.

Oh no....after the Linux debacle in earlier drafts of the FAQ, I'm not
sure I am quite ready yet for an Oxford comma flame war;-)

> In Feature/Description table some descriptions could be a bit expanded.
> For non-Solaris user descriptions "Service Management Facility" and
> "Fault Management Architecture" say nothing. At least there should be
> links to documentation, wiki or wikipedia.

Good idea....I'll expand on those.

> I'd avoid speaking about 32-bit support. It seems we are going to nuke
> it in future, and in immediate future more and more 64-bit-only
> applications will appear. One old good example is qemu-kvm.

OK perhaps we can exchange bitness for GHZ, or just whack the collumn
from the table completely.

> Adam, can we host
> http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/opensolaris_2008/index.html on OI
> infrastructure? Referencing to linuxtopia site seems strange.

Well....we do have the docs from the 2009.06 drop, which we could host
ourselves. They're not quite as outdated as the 2008 docs. I for one
think they would be a helpful resource even as they are, but I am unsure
how many other folks on the list would agree with the idea.

Another option is to simply whack that line from the list.

> "Utilities maintenance - pkg[5]". Link seems to be broken. I think this
> item needs brief clarification.

I need to try inserting an escape character to fix that...the wiki
creole interpreter somehow thinks it's a link.

> "As illumos is not itself a distribution, OpenIndiana combines
> illumos-gate with OpenIndiana derived oi-userland"
> I think something is wrong with this sentence.

I was thinking the same thing, but never got around to fixing it. I'll
think a bit how to reword that so it makes more sense.

> "At this time, the following distributions are known to support the
> SPARC platform:.."
> I think it would be good to reorganize the list in alphabetic order.

OK....that's easy enough to do. I'll look into putting Oracle Solaris by
itself as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read this whole thing once more.

Michael