[oi-dev] oi-userland categories

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:43:58 UTC 2016

Hello,

I suggest:
> 1) agree on several (~20 ) categories (something like in pkg-src);
> 2) move individual components to corresponding categories as they are
> touched;
> 3) avoid creating new top-level components;
> 4) allow creating sub-categories.
>
> As for top-level categories, I'd like to see something like
>
> archivers
> closed      # closed source components
> databases
> devel      # development tools and libraries
> desktop-environments # gnome, enlightenment\
> deskutils
> encumbered
> fonts
> games
> graphics
> lang       # languages and language modules
> inputmethod
> meta-packages
> multimedia
> openindiana # illumos and OI-specific software
> scientific
> shells
> sysutils
> textproc
> www
> x11
>

> What do you think?

Agreed.
For some categories the FMRI gives already a prefix that could be used as
directory name e.g. 'devel' -> 'developer', 'archivers' -> 'archiver'
(without appended 's'), 'textproc' -> 'text', we also have 'network' and
some other categories.
Even if is not 1:1 maybe we should avoid creating new labels when existing
can be used, regardless of how much we like them, and ensure some kind of
consistency.

Do you want subcategories in x11 as well to follow upstream ?
The 'fonts' directory will exist in x11 as well since ttf fonts are
delivered, should it be moved therein ?

> --
> Best regards,
> Alexander Pyhalov,
> system administrator of Southern Federal University IT department

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings