[oi-dev] oi-userland categories

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Fri Feb 19 06:51:41 UTC 2016

Andreas Wacknitz писал 18.02.2016 19:14:

>> As for top-level categories, I'd like to see something like
>>
>> archivers
>> closed      # closed source components
>> databases
>> devel      # development tools and libraries
>> desktop-environments # gnome, enlightenment\
>> deskutils
>> encumbered
>> fonts
>> games
>> graphics
>> lang       # languages and language modules
>> inputmethod
>> meta-packages
>> multimedia
>> openindiana # illumos and OI-specific software
>> scientific
>> shells
>> sysutils
>> textproc
>> www
>> x11
>>

>> What do you think?
>>

> Good idea,
> As I am not familiar with pkg-src I would look at FreeBSD's ports.
> What is the difference between lang and devel? For me the distinction
> is sometimes arbitrary.

Perhaps, it's a bit arbitrary. I thought about languages, language libs
vs development tools (make-like tools/VCS) and general libraries,
which currently have library/* fmris. However, I agree, they can be
merged, if we create second-level directories (devel/python,
devel/perl).
We also need something like network/ for network services
(service/network/* , network/*).

This is a list of  top-level categories in package fmris (on my build
server):
$ pkg list -H |awk ' { print $1; }'  |cut -d / -f 1  |sort |uniq -c
       1 SUNWcs
       1 SUNWcsd
       2 archiver
       7 audio
       3 backup
       3 benchmark
       6 codec
       4 communication
       3 compatibility
       6 compress
      11 consolidation
       2 crypto
       6 data
      51 database
      21 desktop
      99 developer
      12 diagnostic
       5 driver
      12 editor
       1 entire
       6 file
      41 gnome
      40 image
       1 install
     514 library
       3 locale
       3 mail
       1 mate
       2 media
       1 metapackages
       1 naming
      16 network
       7 package
       7 print
       2 release
      27 runtime
       3 security
      27 service
       6 shell
      98 system
       7 terminal
       2 test
      28 text
       2 video
     194 web
     134 x11

(archiver vs compress distinction is fun)

Or: $ pkg info |grep Category:  | gawk -F : ' { print $2; };' | sort
|uniq -c
       5  Applications/Accessories
       1  Applications/Configuration and Preferences
       7  Applications/Graphics and Imaging
      30  Applications/Internet
       1  Applications/Office
       1  Applications/Panels and Applets
       4  Applications/Plug-ins and Run-times
       9  Applications/Sound and Video
      59  Applications/System Utilities
       1  Applications/System Utilities (org.opensolaris.category.2008)
       7  Applications/Universal Access
       3  Desktop (GNOME)/Documentation
       3  Desktop (GNOME)/File Managers
      67  Desktop (GNOME)/Libraries
       1  Desktop (GNOME)/Localizations
       2  Desktop (GNOME)/Scripts
       3  Desktop (GNOME)/Sessions
       9  Desktop (GNOME)/Theming
       3  Desktop (GNOME)/Window Managers
      14  Development/C
      21  Development/C (org.opensolaris.category.2008) Development/C++
       5  Development/C++
      31  Development/Databases
      10  Development/Distribution Tools
       5  Development/Editors
       2  Development/Editors (org.opensolaris.category.2008)
       1  Development/Fortran
       8  Development/GNOME and GTK+
      21  Development/GNU
       9  Development/High Performance Computing
       9  Development/Java
      21  Development/Other Languages
     143  Development/PHP
      79  Development/Perl
     167  Development/Python
       6  Development/Ruby
       4  Development/Ruby (org.opensolaris.category.2008)
      11  Development/Source Code Management
       1  Development/Suites
      16  Development/System
      44  Development/X11
       2  Drivers/Display
       2  Drivers/Networking
       2  Drivers/Other Peripherals
       1  Drivers/Ports
      18  Meta Packages/Group Packages
      13  System/Administration and Configuration
      28  System/Core
      31  System/Databases
       4  System/Enterprise Management
       7  System/File System
       6  System/Fonts
       1  System/Fonts (org.opensolaris.category.2008) System/X11
       8  System/Hardware
       6  System/Internationalization
     121  System/Libraries
      19  System/Localizations
      11  System/Media
      55  System/Multimedia Libraries
       7  System/Packaging
      12  System/Printing
      21  System/Security
       7  System/Services
       3  System/Shells
       1  System/Software Management
      26  System/Text Tools
       1  System/Trusted
      90  System/X11
      46  Web Services/Application and Web Servers

$  pkg info |grep Category:  | gawk -F : ' { split($2,a,"/"); print
a[1]; };' | sort | uniq -c
     125  Applications
      91  Desktop (GNOME)
     628  Development
       7  Drivers
      18  Meta Packages
     478  System
      46  Web Services

Let's rename some categories so that they more correspond to fmris:

archiver # archiver/*, compress/*
closed      # closed source components
database (database/*, service/database/*)
developer (developer/*, library/*)      # development tools and
libraries
desktop  (desktop/*) # gnome, enlightenment, common tools
encumbered
font #  (system/font/*, print/filter/ghostscript/fonts/*)
games (games/*)
image (image/*)
input-method (system/input-method)
metapackages
multimedia (audio/*, video/*)
network (serive/network/*, network/*)
openindiana # illumos and OI-specific software
shell (shell/*)
sysutils (security/*, backup/*, test/*, etc)
text (text/*)
web (web/*)
x11 (x11/*)

Do you see some components, which doesn't suit to this classification?

---