[oi-dev] OpenSXCE

WebDawg webdawg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:05:08 UTC 2016

> Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 00:43:59 +0300
> From: ?????? ?????? <opensxce at mail.ru>
> To: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
>         <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>,  OpenIndiana Developer mailing
>         list    <oi-dev at openindiana.org>
> Subject: [oi-dev] Illumos vs. KMS?  __/__ Re[2]: [OpenIndiana-discuss]
>         How to run Flash Player plugin in OI Hipster
>
>  @ Mr. Sommerfeld:
>
> Ok, if nobody of you USA Illumos persons finally starts to treat me like a human being, forget that I wasted the last 2 months unpaid double-full(aka fool)time to get Sun's IntelKMS port backported to OpenSolaris/ OS/Net and hence also to Illumos.
> (which not only prevented me from having any real life or any income, but even also costed me that job in Brussels)
>

> With FF43 it is also quite _pathetic_ how much respect the wider community (except on OI) showed:  https://github.com/OpenSXCE-org/FireFox-43-port-for-all-OpenSolaris-distros
>
> 1 Star and 1 Fork.
>
> COMPARE this to Joyent's FF31 port which was (for about half a year even without any single line of modifications) simply stolen from NetBSD? (back then I had the exact urls, fetched them both and a diff showed it was totally identical for several months)
>
> https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc-wip/tree/master/firefox-hg/patches
>
> But has: Watchers: 51? Stars: 14?? Forks: 34
>

> On the Illumos Facebook channel what I got back then was an astounding 1 like! WOW? ...
> I exclude from this complaint my few less than 10 real friends here on OI, which are at the same time the only ones who still contribute here directly.
> And who get no money themselves for their 1000's of hours, in most cases (Ken is one of the few exceptions) live in countries boycotted and robbed off by the WEST , but nevertheless donated something to me last year after the FF release.
>
> But you commercial Illumos folks in the US: Very disappointing.
> But admittedly it is foolish enough that I ever expected anything (recognition, job, donations, friendship) from you and the like there.
>

> What your country is sowing around the globe for the past 70++ years will at some point return home {*}
>

> * https://facebook.com/opensxce
> *  https://www.facebook.com/OpenSXCE/photos_stream?ref=page_internal
> *  https://www.facebook.com/OpenSXCE/photos/pb.390802211025889.-2207520000.1452202928./569120039860771/?type=3&theater
> *  https://www.facebook.com/OpenSXCE/photos/pb.390802211025889.-2207520000.1452202928./565286253577483/?type=3&theater

I am sorry to hear about all your troubles but I would certainly not
take Facebook as any sort of real measure of niceness.  Facebook is
garbage.  I do not follow this list as closely as I should but if you
are contributing to open source software you should understand that
sometimes it is a thankless job.  I still think it is one of the
greatest things a programmer can do and when I use something coded I
always internally recognize all the work that went into it.

I have no idea about your situation but if you put work into this OS
and others, thank you.  Thanks to everyone that dedicates part of
their life to something they may receive nothing from.  If you were
promised something and did not get it, that sucks.  It also sucks that
most do not receive anything for their contributions to many different
open source projects.  It does seem that more companies are paying
people to join in to these various communities but it never seems that
they are all in.

Various projects have been created and supported by people like you
and then at a certain point the 'new' features are rolled into an
enterprise edition and cost an arm and a leg.  I hate this model and
it sucks that the people that started these projects ended up selling
out.  There is a reason Linux is used on so many different devices.
Could you imagine if the license for Linux was changed and you had to
start paying for things like mouse support?

I like commercialization and everyone deserves money but not at the
cost of community progress.  These companies did not start this and
they should not be able to end it.

I am sorry that you do not like the US but you are not going to make
progress with threats and insults and if this was an attempt to elicit
emotion, I do not think you know how the citizens of the US work.
Also, it looks like you were complaining about getting kicked from a
list for including politics or what not.  This is the oi-dev mailing
list.  Not the complain-about-other-stuff list.  No matter how
emotional you get, you need to stop breaking the rules of the projects
you are involved in.  Not because you want to follow the rules but
because it is a sign of respect to the people you are working with to
not waste their time.  If they want to read about politics, they they
could subscribe to politics mailing lists.

You cannot force someone to do something, and you are going to meet
with retaliation from communities trying to do this.

I have also looked into some previous posts with regard to OpenSXCE.

http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2013-June/002196.html
http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2014-September/003360.html

What the heck?  Honestly after those conversions, what do you really want?

I already know sending this is most likely a waste of time based on
the previous posts I read, but if any of this gets through to you let
me know.