[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] Updated OpenIndiana FAQ

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:33:24 UTC 2016

Hello,

I don t find the comparison useful ... i mean how useful is it ...?
> Linux was written from scratch ... by Hp Ibm SGI and lot
> of companies .
> This is absolutely irrelevant and could only lead to flamewar...
> Documentation is not a fair place for any kind of propaganda...
> My 2 cts

I agree with Johan, I do not think this is meaningful for the handbook.
People running Linux do not care about reading about Linux in the FAQ and
people who do not know about Linux (if any) may just benefit from the
knowledge that illumos/*BSD/Linux follow the UNIX paradigm with slight
differences.
Discussions about origins, who funded what, ideology vs change of business
model etc.. are off-topic.

The difference worth mentioning may be that illumos is not just a kernel
unlike Linux (system approach like *BSDs vs Linux-type loose coupling ?).

> .

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings