[oi-dev] OpenIndiana user survey

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 01:11:35 UTC 2016

On 07/11/16 10:04 PM, Adam Števko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On behalf of the OI developers, I’d like to ask all the community
> members and developers to complete a short OpenIndiana survey form
> located
> at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1k2LNzxQxGdUZ7joL_tI3Aid_fzTGPxSDEAp83PbCmus/viewform.

Even this one-time survey is Ok and wouldn't hurt to fill in, and I urge
others to do so,
I would love to avoid using Google's oversight on data in the future,
whereas Google is omnipresent on internet and sites, tracking visitors.
It is always best practices to have forms available on OI's project site
in the future , to have data gathering exclusively under  project
control, to enable privacy protection.

If you delete cookies and browser cache before going to the site and
filling in the form, then it is,sort of, Ok/better.  Plus it is as I see
targeted to OI contributors and not widest audience on openindiana-discuss.

> This will give us answers to several questions and the information
> will help us improve OpenIndiana.
>
> Completing this form should not take more than 15 minutes and will
> help us tremendously, so I’d like to encourage all people on both
> lists to participate.
>
> I’ll leave the form open till the end of August  2016.
>
> Thanks for all answers!
>
> Cheers,
> Adam

General internet privacy notes (from me, in general):
I suggest to in everyday use, one uses the combination of 3 Firefox
addons to avoid constant Google tracking:
Noscript - blocks all Google (not blocked by default) and other scripts,
but those turned on for visiting sites, temporarely - needs some sort of
user selection what scripts to turn on and when ;
Ghostery - source-visible, invisible tracking protections  ;
Self-destructing cookies - destroys cookies after closing tabs or
browser, not letting other sites use them to track you ;
And sometimes, clearing on-disk cache and all cookies.

That being said, if you don't have site-visiting tail like explained,
then it's Ok to use Google form from time to time, or even with using
some http proxy, since it's wouldn't'e tie yourself to the data in the
form if cookies and cached content are deleted before and aferwards.

It is not the problem if project like OI acquire data , people should
contribute to the project sharing it to make Openindiana better, sharing
user's data with Google is clearly not the best way to protect user's
interests. it is just important to see that same can be achieved putting
form on the Oi's own site and that Google forms are rather not needed
and it is also good to consult others when taking distro-wide action,
together with sort of all possible interpretations of data/results and
having records available within project boundaries at all times.