[oi-dev] OpenIndiana Code of Conduct

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 22:13:30 UTC 2016

Hi Till,

> On Jul 20, 2016, at 10:04 AM, Till Wegmüller <toasterson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 18.07.2016 23:35, Adam Števko wrote:
>>
>> Please compose your thoughts and comment with as few replies as
>> necessary so the community may solidify the final text of this document.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adam
>>

> Hi Adam, Hi Nikola
>
> Thanks both of you for the work put into this.
>
> Here are my thought and comments:
> When reading Adams text it refers to a body of Leadership. Both source Projects (FreeBSD and FiFo) have such a Role defined. Do we have that?

Not anything official right now. Every decision was made by one of the contributors and we tried to reach a consensus. If the decision was too important, project contributors consulted those topics with various people and tried to do their best. However, most things were mostly technical and not political. Unless leader steps up or different governing body is found, there isn’t anything. The deciding comes as a part of moving the project forward.

I have also discussed this topic with Alexander today and we both concluded that we has just killed the time with it. We are small developer community, (mostly) nice to each other and try to help. I also think that every contributor has found his place within a project already. If any proposal came from me, I’d just make the present situation official, but there are certainly drawbacks to it.

> Adams text is more worded towards being a set of rules. Nikolas more in the sense of expectations. I prefer expectations.

Problem with expectations in Nikola’s list is that majority of them are already in practice and the situation is out of hands.

> When I read the words "will not be tolerated" it imediatly raises the question what will hapen if i break those? Who punshes and how? In my opinion "Discouraged behaviour" is the better wording.

The point of using “strong” words is to show that we take it seriously. If rules are broken, the situation is going to be handled privately to avoid any (more) drama on the mailing list and ensure that the problem is solved. And who punishes? The CoC states that distribution maintainers are the one to do so. We can change it as it is a draft. Perhaps, somebody could volunteer. I can assure you that nobody wants to do it and behave like a teacher in the kinder garden. Fortunately, the community hadn’t had to solve any serious issues and there weren’t any

> I prefer the managing misuse and escalation section over the reporting violations. We have a very friendly community. There should not be a need to involve a third party to resolve issues from the very beginning.
>
> The very notion of twitter is that everything is public.

Twitter as a medium has private DM and it's rather usual to use it. It just an another communication channel. If you insist, we can remove it.

> I find the point "Maintain welcoming environment for new contributors and guide them in contributions." very important. I would like to have that in.

I’ll add it, thanks.

> What is the desired outcome of a code of conduct? Should it be a set of rules? Or a set of expectations from each other? Is it assumed to be the same for all codes of conducts? If so should we link to that definition? or do we need to define that?

The whole idea behind the code of conduct is to show the community and the outside world that we are a community of people, who don’t tolerate toxic people. There are multiple problems with such people, most present in OI:

- community members are unsubscribing from the list - there has been too much drama in the past few months and it needs to be stopped. Nobody wants to deal with toxic people. You could see one example right in this email thread.
- public debates - many things are debated in the private because people want to work on the project and have something done. If you send out an email to oi-dev mailing list, the email is quickly going to hijacked or made off-topic. Who has the energy to deal with it every time?

With CoC in place, we can simply show the potential new users and also those, who unsubscribed that situation changed and that we mean it seriously. After all, everybody wants to have a peaceful and enjoyable time while using/developing OI.
However, that can’t be reached while toxic people are present.

Cheers,
Adam