[oi-dev] Ideas about fixing useradd -m

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Thu Jul 28 08:17:38 UTC 2016

On 28/07/2016 09:04, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hi.
>
> There is an old issue (https://www.illumos.org/issues/263):
> useradd -m tries to create home directory under /home, but /home is auto-mounted
> from /export/home.
>
> For useradd -m to work, you should specify useradd -m -b /export/home ..., but
> users created in such way are not equivalent to initial user, which we get on
> install, as for them mapping in /etc/auto_home is not created.
>
> OI /dev had several patches to fix this:
>
> https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/commit/d6271a348bada25d0a512551be0ae6a9aa334d84
> (263 useradd is unable to create home directory)
>
> and
> https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/commit/70501a0c9a45806dbe4a81c2195b2647fa982f79
>
> ( 288 New homedirs should have auto_home entries)
>
> I think that these patches are too specific to be accepted in illumos-gate.
> What can we do with it? Perhaps we just remove all auto_home magic by default
> and create home directories under /export/home ?
>
> We also could set something like
> *    localhost:/export/home/&
> in /etc/auto_home, but IIRC this leads to the following : if you try to access
> /home/bar you'll receive irritating error messages on console about missing
> /export/home/bar.

As you said, it's too specific. Users using NFS mounted directories
for /home have wildly different setups (we alone had three completely
different approaches in a decade), they know what they do. So the
best option is to leave it as it is, either the admin uses the -b
option, or don't  use the -m option at all since he creates that
directory by different measures.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php