[oi-dev] Making VIM run in a modern mode by default

Denys Rtveliashvili denys at rtveliashvili.name
Sat May 21 16:07:24 UTC 2016

Hello,

I would like VIM to be more modern by default.

I have also raised a ticket for that: https://www.illumos.org/issues/6986

VIM runs in non-compatible mode by default on many if not all Linux
distributions and frankly I see no reasons why would someone want to
have it in "compatible" mode.
Also, VIM manual assumes that VIM would be used in the modern mode
rather than in "compatible" one.

The tweak is a matter of adding a system-wide file.

So the question is this: are there any real reasons why it must not be done?
If there are none, I would make the change.

With kind regards,
Denys Rtveliashvili