[oi-dev] Specifying GCC as a compiler in a Makefile for simple library

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon May 16 15:02:50 UTC 2016

On 05/15/16 05:32 PM, Reginald Beardsley via oi-dev wrote:
> FWIW I have NEVER ever seen a makefile that used a variable named COMPILER.

Then you've never looked at any of the Userland makefiles that build with gcc.
It's used by the userland shared-macros.mk to set CC, CXX, CFLAGS, etc. to
appropriate defaults.

If you were doing a build that used configure scripts, the Userland makefiles
pass CC/CXX/etc. to configure automatically, but I don't think it does that
for "justmake" since there is no configure script.

	-alan-