[oi-dev] Public Documentation License (terms)

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed May 18 08:04:11 UTC 2016

On 05/18/16 04:13 AM, Michael Kruger wrote:

> One last thought on all this.....
>
> If the content found on OpenIndiana.org (wiki, www) is not PDL
> licensed (as far as I can tell, this appears to be a true statement),
> then the argument to use the PDL for new documents

No one forced you, just it would be best to do so to have it at PDL as
final destination to keep it free for people coming after all of us.
And if you are PDL-compatible, it can be included in PDL.
Since current Opensolaris docs to be extended are PDL, it got to get PDL
accepted and compatible with PDL in previous stages, to reuse both Wiki
and additional changes into final PDL updated docs.

Since submitted on OI wiki, all wiki content is subjected to OI project
to do what want with it, so no external sites, but Openindiana site.

It could be safely said that current OI content is submitted to OI
project to be used by it.
So OI wiki is compatible with your possible intention to contributing to it.

> (for the sake of re-usability on OpenIndiana.org) does not seem to be
> valid.

This is wrong and conclusion that attacks Openindiana as general. Please
don't attack Openindiana anymore and spread FUD about Openindiana Wiki.

It is obvious that all content on Wiki is subjected to OI operating
system distribution project as part of illumos and nothing else is needed.
*So if there needs to be any conclusion,you are not allowed to drain out
OI wiki content to external site* and it mostly is not needed because it
is to end up into PDL anyway.

Have your contribution toward OI open and with positive attitude is
great way and by filling Wiki with more great content, Openindiana can
get better.

Wiki is there as a good tool for revision and contribution without the
need to manage complicated processes, as any Wiki is. (And it has it's
own logs already)

> Having said that, there may be other valid reasons...such as drawing
> content from the OpenSolaris books. In this case, the PDL makes more
> sense, but even then isn't actually a requirement.

I wouldn't jump conclusions, there are actually no any reason to think
that OI Wiki is derived from Opensolaris books.
But the point is that getting integrated into future Openindiana docs
reusing Opensolaris docs is to go through Openindiana project, not
external site.
So you are stuck with co-operating with Openindiana people , that is the
positivie conclusion - you need to cooperate with community to reuse ,
include and be part of it. :)

> Such a larger work could for example use the MIT license (as long as
> the terms of the PDL were met for the content which came from a PDL
> source). But in such a case, the PDL would probably make things less
> confusing and easier to manage.

This is the right conclusion.

Need for articles to go through Wiki is because there is the need for
in-project revision process , to make sure quality of articles is at the
high level, and it's not feasible at the moment the other way.