[oi-dev] Making VIM run in a modern mode by default

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Sat May 21 16:21:35 UTC 2016

Hello Denys!

> VIM runs in non-compatible mode by default on many if not all Linux
> distributions and frankly I see no reasons why would someone want to
> have it in "compatible" mode.

Because this is not Linux, and the "system" vi should be as close to
the original Solaris vi it replaced.

Why can't you just set that for your user account?  What is the gain?
Remember that the system vi may be used in a limited environment,
such as a serial system console.  Don't fix things that aren't broken.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"