[oi-dev] FLAG DAY: Provide loader menu additions for boot image.

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Fri Nov 4 10:28:49 UTC 2016

> On 4. nov 2016, at 11:53, Jean-Pierre André <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> Toomas Soome wrote:
>>
>> Support for specifying loader configuration on installation media was added to distribution constructror.
>>
>> This support consists several components.
>>
>> 1. loader configuration script for distribution manifest:
>
> I do not see information about which file systems are supported
> by the loader.
>
> Is dual (triple) booting on Windows (ntfs) and Linux (ext2)
> supported by the loader (or planned to be supported) ?
>
> Jean-Pierre

Use chain command to chainload other systems. There is no need to build foreign file system and OS loading support into the loader as every os has their own native tools for the task.

chain command will take device name as an argument, use lsdev to get list of the devices and remember the device name must end with colon, like "chain disk0s1:”.

Once you have verified the boot via chainload, you can also create your own commands, add something like this into /boot/loader.rc.local:

: win s” disk0s1:” 1 chain ;

Note the spaces there, : tells the new word will be defined, win is the name for the new word, s” disk0s1:” will put the string “disk0s1:” into the stack, 1 means there is 1 argument and chain will execute the chain command. ; will end the definition.

Another way to create the same word is:

: win s” chain disk0s1:” evaluate ;

(for test you can enter this line on ok prompt), once you have this word created, just enter on ok prompt: win and you should get windows boot…

Note the /boot/loader.rc.local does not exist by default, it will be executed if it’s there and can be used for local needs - the updates will not touch it.

Hope this will help,
toomas