[oi-dev] FLAG DAY: Provide loader menu additions for boot image.

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Fri Nov 4 12:31:14 UTC 2016

> On 4. nov 2016, at 14:21, Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Toomas Soome <tsoome at me.com <mailto:tsoome at me.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 4. nov 2016, at 14:07, Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com <mailto:aurelien.larcher at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 12:47 PM, Toomas Soome <tsoome at me.com <mailto:tsoome at me.com>> wrote:

>> > I do not see information about which file systems are supported
>> > by the loader.
>> >
>> > Is dual (triple) booting on Windows (ntfs) and Linux (ext2)
>> > supported by the loader (or planned to be supported) ?
>> >
>> > Jean-Pierre

>> I forgot to add; for dual boot *menu* entry, all you need is to set chain_disk=“devicename:”, for example in file /boot/conf.d/chainload  - if the variable chain_disk is set, the menu entry will appear. In case of distro constructor, this will be done in /boot/loader.rc.local on installer image. However, we do not install this file to disk (if you will look into it, you can figure out, why;).
>>
>> Could we compile the info on the Wiki somehow, or if you have a pointer at hand?
>>

> Sure, just someone needs to write it down… Also, there are manuals waiting for helping hand in source tree - reviewing and updating manuals is great way to get knowledge and to start to contribute. This is not Sun/Oracle any more - if people wont contribute, nothing will happen.
>
> Sure but that was implicitly the second part of my question, maybe some pointers would give an entry point to volunteers?

Right:D well, the loader related manuals are in illumos-gate/usr/src/boot tree, those are from freebsd, and so using the layout and details specific for fbsd, most have suffix 8, but few have also 3 and 5. The same are also accessible via freebsd web interface. If any specific questions arise, I will help, no problem.

Also there was headsup in illumos developers list and alp did collect some list of questions/answers.

rgds,
toomas