[oi-dev] Netboot on OpenIndiana

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:14:16 UTC 2016

Hello fellow Community

So i have been working with netboot today and would like to give you a
rundown of what works/what not and would like to ask you how you see
this project going forward.

So the basic idea was that Users new to OI could use the service
netboot.xyz to easily launch the installer of OI and Install.

However it turns out that the boot_archive included in the Hipster Isos
is not usable for netboot.

While investigating the boot process it also turns out that someone
built many safeguards into the SMF Install scripts that would need to be
changed.

Due to the fact that distro constructor takes 2+ hours to build an iso
on every change and my need for some experimentation, I built some
scripts based on alhazred's Firefly Recovery Image, Jimklimov's make
firefly from root and Peter Tribbles minimal viable Illumos.

you can find the code here: https://github.com/Toasterson/firefly

The Script's are capable of making a boot_archive from your System. and
a Bootable ISO from a boot_archive.

The mkfirefly.sh script has an -i switch where you can choose a root
directory from where to take the files.

I tried this with a properly mounted Hipster ISO but that produces a
unbootable Image.

Given the restrictions of the Installation process I will probably have
to change some bits in that process in order to make netboot work. I yet
don't know which.

Thus i would like to ask for some feedback from the Community.

I would like to know what you think about the scripts. How could I
improve them? What would you use them for? Does that need some change to
the script(e.g additional commandline option)?

I would also like to know what about the Installation Process would you
like to see changed and how?

What's your opinion about AI (Automated Installer)?
Would you rather like Jumpstart as installer automation solution?

Looking forward for your feedback
Greetings
Till