[oi-dev] Screen distorted with new i915 driver

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Thu Sep 1 06:37:19 UTC 2016

Moin  Alex ,

tnx for the prompt delivery of the output I requested.
Although syslog is missing.
Please check syslog if there is anything related.

Mmh.

To begin with let me make one thing clear once again, if it wasn't clear enough: You do NOT need /etc/X11/xorg.conf anymore.
And if you decide to create it, you have to first hack out all the mistakes that Xorg -configure usually puts into it.
(such as, for a single Intel GPU two device sections get created, one for vesa and one for intel. And then worse: For the intel device the monitor may get defined to spread across 2 or 3 heads. That's what I always get with Xorg -configure on my Celeron G530 on Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-S2V-B3
BIOS Configuration: Award Software International, Inc. F8 03/27/2012.

If there is another head in the box, then Xorg -configure often gets totally lost.
What are your BIOS menu settings to enable the Intel GPU and to disable the NVidia GPU?
What's your stolen ram size (gtt)?
Does increasing it help?

So the first thing I suggest is that you rename xorg.conf and test if that helps.
If not, then make sure that xorg.conf is 100% correct - and then set a fixed screen size, such as 1024x768.

If this still doesn't help, then mmmmh.
You are close. I saw such errors. I noticed that:

[   637.050] (II) intel(0): EDID for output VGA1
[   637.050] (II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 connected
[   637.050] (II) intel(0): Output VGA1 disconnected
[   637.050] (II) intel(0): Using exact sizes for initial modes
[   637.050] (II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 using initial mode 1920x1080

So, while it may still be ok that EDID was taken for VGA1 while the current display is in fact LVDS1.
Perhaps 1920x1080 is simply too large?

Would it work (as a test) if you connect VGA1?

Another thing, probably unrelated:

http://vorschau.zebworx.com/OI/output-ls

Could you please reboot to -s (single user after a reboot, fast reboot is enough)  and

#cd /dev/dri
#mv -i card0 controlD64
#mv -i card1 card0

?

That *probably* won't change anything, although it would be the cleaner way.
I fixed it in the global diff against OS/Net available here:

http://opensxce.org/intelkms_working_testbins/Intel_DRMxKMS_S12_to_Illumos_backport__RELEASE/01__GLOBAL/00__SRC/DIFFS/illumos-gate__VANILLA__checkout20160629_git450b24a3e08dd5d6007467b18ef9cea400f7385a_____versus_____illumos-gate__checkout20160629_git450b24a3e08dd5d6007467b18ef9cea400f7385a__OpenSXCE_DRMKMS.diff.bz2

in devfsadm.
But OI/Hipster didn't take this unless there is a real reason (due to their strict policy to stay based on vanilla OS/Net).

Before we continue, I would like to be sure that not an invalid or buggy xorg.conf is the reason.
Are you in UEFI mode or on BIOS?

Arg, ok, you can only be in legacy BIOS mode with this iso.
So that's also not the reason.

If all this doesn't bring you forward, will it work if you copy over a clean xorg.conf (that you need to put somewhere as reserve, such as in /etc/X11/xorg.conf__intel)

And if you in the newly created/cp'ed over /etc/X11/xorg.conf disable DRI in step a and accelleration in steb b?

So much for now, those are the typical things to try in these situations.

MfG %martin

      oi-dev wrote:
>>Hallo Alex,
>>
>>sorry for experiencing problems (tut mir leid, dass Du Probleme
      damit hast).
>>What is where exactly happening, in which precise order, how and
      why (was passiert wo, in welcher genauen Reihenfolge wie und
      warum)?

>>The least you should send to enable me or anyone to help you (Das
      Mindeste, was Du mitsenden solltest, um mich oder sonst-wen in
      eine Position zu bringen, Dir helfen zu koennen, waere das
      Folgende) :

>>#0.) Screen photograph or best video
>>#1.) /var/adm/messages*
>>#2.) /var/log/Xorg.0.log*
>>#3.) scanpci -v output (what is your device's pciid?)
>>#4.) ls -l /dev/dri
>>
>>Then I need to know if you deleted /etc/X11/xorg.conf before
      running into problems, as you should have

>>A pity that only those take the time to report whatsoever, for
      whom it is *not* working, while the silent 99% stay silent
      (reminds me of what happened 2 weeks ago, but that's how humans
      appear to be designed to be)

>>I hope we can get this working for you,
>>mit den besten Gruessen,
>>
>>%martin bochnig
>>Ostberlin
>>

>>>Среда, 31 августа 2016, 16:48 UTC от
        Alexander Jung  <a.jung at scilset.de> :

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>after the last update of hipster on my Lenovo W530, the new i915 driver don't work correct, the screen is distorted.

The W530 has an intel and nvidia graphicscard, but because the nvidiadriver don't work at all i switched to intel in bios.

lspci shows
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

I am also very interestet in a solution for the nvidia card.

Best regards,

Alex

PS: Sorry for my bad english

>--