[oi-dev] Screen distorted with new i915 driver

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Fri Sep 2 16:30:39 UTC 2016

Hallo  Alex ,

do I need to ask for each snippet with an extra email, is it some quiz here?

First I _need_ to know if Solaris11.3 works for you or has the same problem (yes, I must know that).
Then you didn't respond to any of my other questions, such as stolen-ram gtt setting in Bios or GPU-choice setting in Bios.
Also: Did you follow my instructions to try several stolen ram settings (best multiples of 32MB without remainder)?

*Then*: Why is it so hard to connect some external screen to VGA1 and repeat _all_ mentioned tests (including on both Hipster _and_ Sol11.3)?
*Plus*: At least you now said that this Xorg.0.log was created "with xorg.conf". How useful.
But what about adding the customizations I proposed, such as disabling DRI in step A, disabling hw-acceleration in step B, and hardwiring the resolution to a low config like  1024x768 at 60 ?

Sorry Sir, you are not using Windows 10 Home Edition   ;)
Am I asking for too much when I say that I need to know how it behaves on Sol11.3?
You can download it from Oracle after you register there (for free).
S11.3 uses the same DRM/KMS driver, only that it didn't need to backport it because they do have a more modern gfx_private and do have more modern kernel memory management interfaces.
For this reason I need these comparision results. Because then this would give some hints.
It is also mandatory that you repeat the test with an externally connected Monitor (VGA1).
And if you do decide to create xorg.conf, why then don't you benefit from its customizational powers?
Just to have some whatever xorg.conf is little helpful, if you don't follow the other configuration instructions.

#####p.s. Note to Hipster team: #####
The Mate-Compiz diff backport was more complicated than originally expected (gconf interfaces no longer in MATE).
After 2 days of external jobbing I can finally continue with it.
As announced on Tuesday I created a working MATE build env on a SDHC Photo/Video-16GB card connected to and booted from my old Lifebook via USB2 card reader. So I think tomorrow it should be at a stage where it functions.

Best regards,
%martin bochnig
East-Berlin