[oi-dev] Fwd: Nobody for whom OI/Hipster Mate on i915/KMS is working fine wants to report?

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Mon Sep 5 14:31:00 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

thanks for your nice email!

Well, Skylake is too new for these DRM/KMS backport bits as you know, sigh.
To get them supported I in Oracle's position would follow the FreeBSD linuxkpi approach:  https://wiki.freebsd.org/Use%20linuxkpi%20in%20DRM

That is, in May I wasted already 2 weeks on that for my own pleasure (because before that I had realized after manually merging 40.000 lines [!] only to update the backport from June 2013 to February 2014 level for Broadwell support, that there is no point in that.
But to get this FreeBSD DRM/KMS implementation ported to OpenSolaris one persons needs at least 12 to 24 months fulltime if that's enough.
And nobody would pay for it (unless you are the lucky one who works at Oracle and gets this paid).
This in turn tells me that I definitely won't waste more time on that for the benefit of others who could then simply copy it, given a certain background there and elsewhere.
But perhaps Oracle is already working on the same approach, so let's wait and keep fingers crossed that they update their src some day (to pub I mean).

UEFI; The T.S. FreeBSD bootloader will add this soon to OS/Net.
And if he didn't, I could add UEFI functionality based on Grub2 (yes, I worked on this since 2013 till November 2014, and now all of July 2016 with T.S.'s UEFI-advice).
For UEFI64 and UEFI32 (on x64) you just have to wait for T.S.'s bits making it into upstream OS/Net.

As for USB3: The RM src patch is impressive and looks promising.
For an instant solution I could write you OFFlist and explain you how you can make the Sol11.x xhci /usba stack functioning on OpenSolaris.
This is no problem legally if you have a license to run Oracle Solaris, which in  turn is free to private users (for an interim period at least).
That's why the OS/Net businesses didn't want to hear anything about it.

I'm glad to assist in these mentioned areas if you need further specifics.

rgds.,
%martin

>I'd like to provide you a success report, but the only system I own
    with an Intel GPU is running a Skylake CPU and it also includes UEFI
    and USB 3.0.
>So, I am awaiting the maturity of those bits as well.
>
>Perhaps once all 3 of these technologies are delivered with the
    release, then more people will be able to test them out.