[oi-dev] Netboot on OpenIndiana

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 18:45:51 UTC 2016

Hi Adam

On 09.09.2016 09:57, Adam Števko wrote:

> Do you know why it takes so long? Do you know if the problem is IO bound and a SSD might help speed this up? Or is something else?

Well it builds more than what i need for one.
Everytime distro_const runs it runs pkg/mkboot_archive/mk_solaris.zlib ....

As I only need the Boot_archive there is no need to wait for steps i
don't need.

Taking out the steps did also not work really.
They are split in such a way that it's hard to find out where the
boot_archive part is. Thus I used some scripts from Tribblix and
Firefly. Was much easier.

As for distro_const taking 2+ hours. Alp and ptribble analyzed this some
time ago aswell.

IIRC distro_const makes some very funny things like 10'000 Symlinks into
/opt/misc which then is linked to /mnt/misc etc...

For more details i would need to take a deeper look at distro_const

but it looks like the way we build ISO's at the moment is the main
reason for the time it takes.

Oh one thing that I remember taking ages is lofiadm -d. Thats for
distro_const but also my scripts. And probably others too.

Greetings
Till