[oi-dev] Apache OpenOffice retirement - all contributors fled to LibreOffice after Oracle Sun takeover Fwd: Broken components

Thomas Wagner tom-oi-dev at tom.bn-ulm.de
Sat Sep 10 10:37:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 10:31:41PM +0200, Aur??lien Larcher wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Lionel Cons <lionelcons1972 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sigh. What should I say? Was this not the expected outcome? I could
> > argue Oracle has to learn about managing communities, but I'd say no
> > one there would listen. Or not?
> >
> > For Openindiana, is any one working on a LibreOffice replacement of OpenOffice?
>
> We started packaging its dependencies a while ago:
>
> https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/LibreOffice
>
> but the SFE project then kindly set up a Hipster repository containing
> LibreOffice late May 2016:
Actually LibreOffice 4.4.5.2 appeard on OpenIndiana in October 17th 2015.
Version 4.4.7.2 on OpenIndiana appeard on Jan 10th 2016.

> http://sfe.opencsw.org/libreoffice-4.4.7.2

Yes, SFE has LibreOffice. The open project can't make commitments. But I can
say to try keeping the package updated. And I believe the other contributors
to LibreOffice on their own Solarish projects or SFE do the same (ptribble, pjama, and more).

This means, as long as LibreOffice and its dependencies don't put obstacles
in the way, we'll have a LibreOffice package on x86 Solarish Systems in the
open.
The LibreOffice package in the SFE project is build for Solaris 11, (upcoming Solaris 12),
OpenIndiana Hipster. The SFE way to build packages is programattically set to support
various OS-Distros, so it can be extended to other SVR4 or IPS based Solarish
OS-Distros.

Regards,
Thomas

PS: Aurelien, next time I'll try keeping a note in my blog posts when the article appeared first.