[oi-dev] QT5.8 alpha1 testing build

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 08:44:27 UTC 2016

Hello Martin,

> I'm by NO means intending to unintentionally diminish your qt5 work.
> All I'm saying is: Qt5.8 is simply too new in every aspect.
> It needs to be migrated in carefully and in paralel to good old stable 4.8

No offense taken ;)
I agree with you that we should stick with Qt4 for now and that I will
provide Qt5 alongside (in /usr/bin/qt/5.8) as experimental package for
testing.

> As promised I now wanted to port vbox5 back to Qt5 and run a test compile
> against your bins.

I've spun a testing build of VirtualBox last week end:
- one target calling dtrace with no probe had to be removed from a Makefile,
- vboxusb does not work of course since I did not apply your fixes,
- it can only be run as root due to a plugin load permission issue in Qt,
- the keyboard input does not work for some input widgets.

I could boot a Firefly image in it.

Anyway you are correct that we should do not waste more time on Qt5
since you proved that Qt4 offers better support right now.
We will see next year if/when Qt5 is required and in better shape on
OI (hopefully because we upstreamed patches :D).

Kind regards

Aurelien