[oi-dev] Screen distorted with new i915 driver

Alexander Jung a.jung at scilset.de
Wed Sep 21 20:47:22 UTC 2016

Hello Martin,

sorry for the delay, but i was changing residence and there where no
possibility to do your tasks.
But no the situation has changed ...

In BIOS i can only change display settings, i tested with graphics
device Integrated Graphics (Intel) and Discrete Graphics (Nvidia) and
with Nvidia Optimus with OS detection for optimus enabled and disabled.
While i choose intel graphic there is no external monitor, only for
nvidia, but that's another problem.

So with intel graphics or nvidia optimus the inteldriver don't work, the
screen is always distorted, with and without custom configured
xorg.conf, only vesa is working.
Disabling DRI and hw-acceleration and change resolution also don't
change anything.

The same behaviour with solaris11.3

Best regards,
Alex

PS: I do not use windows at all ;)

On 09/ 2/16 06:30 PM, Мартин Бохниг via oi-dev wrote:

> Hallo Alex,
>

> do I need to ask for each snippet with an extra email, is it some quiz
> here?
>
> First I _need_ to know if Solaris11.3 works for you or has the same
> problem (yes, I must know that).
> Then you didn't respond to any of my other questions, such as
> stolen-ram gtt setting in Bios or GPU-choice setting in Bios.
> Also: Did you follow my instructions to try several stolen ram
> settings (best multiples of 32MB without remainder)?
>
> *Then*: Why is it so hard to connect some external screen to VGA1 and
> repeat _all_ mentioned tests (including on both Hipster _and_ Sol11.3)?
> *Plus*: At least you now said that this Xorg.0.log was created "with
> xorg.conf". How useful.
> But what about adding the customizations I proposed, such as disabling
> DRI in step A, disabling hw-acceleration in step B, and hardwiring the
> resolution to a low config like 1024x768 at 60 <mailto:1024x768 at 60> ?
>
> Sorry Sir, you are not using Windows 10 Home Edition   ;)
> Am I asking for too much when I say that I need to know how it behaves
> on Sol11.3?
>
> You can download it from Oracle after you register there (for free).
> S11.3 uses the same DRM/KMS driver, only that it didn't need to
> backport it because they do have a more modern gfx_private and do have
> more modern kernel memory management interfaces.
> For this reason I need these comparision results. Because then this
> would give some hints.
> It is also mandatory that you repeat the test with an externally
> connected Monitor (VGA1).
> And if you do decide to create xorg.conf, why then don't you benefit
> from its customizational powers?
>
> Just to have some whatever xorg.conf is little helpful, if you don't
> follow the other configuration instructions.
>

> #####p.s. Note to Hipster team: #####
> The Mate-Compiz diff backport was more complicated than originally
> expected (gconf interfaces no longer in MATE).
> After 2 days of external jobbing I can finally continue with it.
> As announced on Tuesday I created a working MATE build env on a SDHC
> Photo/Video-16GB card connected to and booted from my old Lifebook via
> USB2 card reader. So I think tomorrow it should be at a stage where it
> functions.
>

> Best regards,
> %martin bochnig
> East-Berlin
>

>     Пятница, 2 сентября 2016, 8:25 UTC от Alexander Jung
>     <a.jung at scilset.de>:
>
>     Hello Martin,
>
>     starting X without xorg.conf results in the same proplem.
>
>     The Xorg.0.log is here ...
>
>     http://vorschau.zebworx.com/OI/Xorg.0.log-without-xorg.conf
>

>     Best regards,
>     Alex