[oi-dev] AMDgpu 1.1.2 and OpenChrome 0.5.159 drivers

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Tue Sep 27 02:47:33 UTC 2016

Hi Ken,

bills are _a_ damn urgent tyrannic core-problem, but still only a side-show.
It is more like:

Task: Build the 3 Pyramids of Gizeh in 1:1 size from original stones material as copy 1 mile south of the original Pyramids.

Available funds: for food, staff and material: (0 (actually a large negative sum, but let's stick to calling it zero)

Available workforce: 2 or 3 unpaid hungry slaves.

Available time: 2 to 3 days

Is that clearer now?

As for the Via/OpenChrome (and other vendors') drivers: You need to check if they also require KMS now or not, if not then they may function on Solaris. But given that LinUX has DRM/KMS for almost everything such chances are getting slimmer by the year.
Nevertheless - for Via/OpenChrome that may still be possible because it took very long until they first got KMS stable and into mainline:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=VIA-KMS-Revival

But AMD/Ati KMS (or a more modern Intel "i915") : Our only chance in that direction would be, if Oracle itself actually gets this done *plus* decides to share it with us. I'm not convinced of that.
Or if we make linuxkpi work.

But a few too many "if"'s for such bold statements.
Hence my shocked reaction.

%martin