[oi-dev] [HEADS UP] Loader is integrated into illumos-gate

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Wed Sep 28 03:10:30 UTC 2016

Hi

that's a great achievement by TS.
I tested his code in all of July and the first week of August.
A pity UEFI support is not yet in, but given Illumos' contribution cycle it's never easy to get something contributed, so it's perhaps just a question of time.
The UEFI code exists however in TS personal github and I could test it in a lengthy manner over 5 weeks daily fulltime (Atom Z3735F BayTrail Tablet).

Similar to Grub2 (such as 1.99 with Oracle's public 2011 diffs) it now (or rather _then_, when all is in) supports UEFI32_x64 and UEFI64_x64.

A bit tricky at first and one needs to spend at the minimum 1 week (better 1 month) of research with it.
But after you know what is what and how it works, it is just phantastic.

If you ever need help with UEFI, I'm glad to join in.
But as said - so far (as it sounds from the announcement, I didn't check yet) the UEFI changes are not yet in the main Illumos gate.

Also it is interesting to see which changes the new VESA console gfx_private will bring to i915.
I mean, the VESA console changes won't change much from DRM's point of view, but at some point I must look again which other potentially interesting features got added to gfx_private.

I'll review the global diff now  ...

--
best regards
%martin bochnig