[oi-dev] "Fixed Enlightenment" or "Beware of epoll"

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Wed Apr 12 05:38:06 UTC 2017

On 11 April 2017 at 22:32, Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> yesterday I figured out why EFL stopped working suddenly several (too many)
> months ago: <sys/epoll.h> was added and one source started using silently
> epoll in the main loop.
>
> But epoll in illumos does not implement the same behaviour as in Linux:
> https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/smartosman/public/man5/epoll.5.html
> and in this particular case EFL relies on a peculiarity of Linux epoll: on
> illumos this produces a deadlock.

Upon which particular peculiar behaviour does it depend?  What is the
precise nature of the deadlock?

If there's real software that requires things we're not implementing,
we may well need to fix the emulation layer.  After all, it forms the
foundation of epoll support in the LX brand as well.

As an aside, the more canonical location for SmartOS manual pages is,
e.g., https://smartos.org/man/5/epoll

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow